Spirulina is an algae that when taken as a supplement is an excellent detoxifier, pulls out heavy metals, is full of vitamins and minerals and can be taken as a wholefood multivitamin, has a high chlorophyll content, is a source of vegetarian protein, (has a higher protein content than red meat: Spirulina is ~70% protein vs ~22% for red meat) & contains all essential amino acids. This makes it a superior source of protein compared with legumes .
Some of the Best Rated Spirulina Brands (Tablet, Capsule and Spirulina Powder) are
Medicinal Use of Spirulina, Nature’s Multivitamin :
- Spirulina has thin cell walls (that are not made of cellulose rather complex sugar and proteins), so all of its nutrients, minerals, micro-minerals are easily digested and absorbed
- wholefood multivitamin (it is so rich in nutrients)
- high cholesterol
- blood pressure
- detoxification – removal of heavy metals
- immune support
- radiation poisoning
- candida – Spirulina encourages growth of healthy gut bacteria
- vegetarian protein source, Iron source
Recommended does, start at 3-5g/day. This can be taken in powder, spirulina tablets or capsules. Increase slowly as it is a potent detoxify-er.
Side Effects: None known. Some noted contraindications include seafood or iodine allergies, hyperthyroidism.
Below is what look for when purchasing a Spirulina supplement.
Check 3 Things First!
Before purchasing a good quality Spirulina
1. Spirulina comes in capsules, powder and tablets. If buying in tablet form ensure it is cold-pressed, raw or organic. Although capsules and powder are the most common.
2. Check to make sure the source is clean and free of pollutants. Some of the best Spirulina is grown in the USA. Spirulina supplements usually contain a label that certifies that the Spirulina is free of heavy metals and has been tested. Certified Organic Spirulina will be free of other pollutants as well and will say this on the label. It is useful to look up the location information of the growing sites (showing whether it is in a pristine area). This high quality Spirulina, free from contaminants is readily available to people in Canada and the United States with a little investigating.
3. Check that the Spirulina is in a container or package that’s prevents light from reaching the algae to ensure freshness. Once you purchase a good Spirulina supplement it can last you many months or more if it is stored properly. If you purchase Spirulina in bulk a good option is to ensure larger amount comes in smaller packages, so only one package is opened for consumption, while the rest remains sealed and fresh. Store it in a cool place. It can even be stored in the fridge or freezer to maintain freshness.
Spirulina is a supplement that is rich in vitamins, minerals, detoxifying chlorophyll and up to 70% vegetarian protein. With the deficiency in the diet of many people in Canada and the United States, supplementing with the best Spirulina brands in powder, capsules or tablets is an excellent whole food option that could be a major health advantage. Also Spirulina is great at pulling out heavy metals.