The saturated fats in coconut oil used to be considered an unhealthy food that would contribute to heart disease, but it actually seems to promotes heart health. It is considered to be anti-viral, anti-bacterial, can aid cholesterol levels and can improve metabolism.
15 Ways To Use Coconut Oil You Might Not Have Thought Of
- baking – use coconut oil to replace oils that will degrade when heated, especially for frying and in baked goods
- deodorant – Melt coconut oil in a pot on the stove, mix in baking soda, pour liquid mix into empty deodorant roll-on tube(s) or other container, allow to cool (can cool in fridge). Then can be used to roll on as usual deodorant. Can make clothes a bit greasy but works very well, especially with a higher % of baking soda
- leather shiner for shoes
- moisturizer for the skin
- makeup remover , wipe-off eye makeup with cloth covered in coconut oil
- energizer – the medium chain fatty acids can be used as a healthy source of energy, take 1 -2 tbs/day in coffee/tea or smoothie and to boost metabolism
- Toothpaste – use a mix of coconut oil and baking soda (not more than once a week as it can wear away enamel if used too often). Whitens teeth
- massage oil
- lip balm
- hair moisturizer, leave in for minimum 5 minutes then wash out, apply to frizzy ends as leave in conditioner
- on feet to combat athlete’s foot or fungus
- can help with eczema, varicose veins, sunburns, dry skin, rough elbows
- natural diaper cream
- may help speed up recovery from colds, flu and urinary tract infections
- tanning oil
Where To Buy Coconut Oil (Organic Coconut Oil)
Locally – Organic Coconut Oil is available at local organic grocery stores such as Whole Foods Market and Planet Organic. It is available at local health food stores that carry vitamins and supplements. It can also be purchased at some big chain grocery stores, especially if they have a natural health food section (Superstore in Canada carries it in their health section and Trader Joe’s in the United States makes their own Organic Virgin Coconut Oil brand). Be sure to purchase Organic Virgin Coconut Oil for the best quality that doesn’t contain chemicals or preservatives. If you’re wondering where to buy coconut oil, there are a lot of local options as its become more popular, but also online can be a convenient way to purchase some of the best quality oil for good prices.
Online – Online is a good way to get some coconut oil as you have easy access to a larger selection and you can easily track down the top coconut oil brands to be sure you’ve gotten a high quality coconut oil. You’re not limited by what the store has in stock.
In addition to Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk can be used as a substitute for milk that contains healthy coconut fats. Warning, this tastes so good it can be addictive…